Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My take on AAU

I will preface this post with this: I was the 17u head coach of the the Minnesota Comets AAU program for six years. This post is the product of my observations while working within the AAU circuit, coupled with my observations since leaving AAU last winter.

If you're high major D1 or have money falling out of your pockets, this post is not for you. You should play AAU as constituted. If you're the former, you're probably not paying to play AAU anyway. If you're the latter, well, congratulations and carry on.

Game on.


Here are the things about AAU basketball I feel are of great benefit to players:

1. Playing. I have a hard time buying into the rationale that playing more is hurting our players. The issue is that playing has been viewed as a replacement to practice and training, which it should not be. The issue is not playing. Players get better by playing.

2. A new, different coaching voice. I've always felt this was one of the best reasons for playing AAU. A player's HS coach, by nature, will approach a player in one way or another. They point out the flaws they see in that player. They will give their individual advice to that player. An AAU coach can provide a different voice and different advice. I consider that healthy, constructive criticism.

3. Playing against the best. To me the single best reason to play AAU is to get your ass kicked. There are few places that players can go to get beat. AAU is one. If you don't learn a lot about yourself in those moments where you know the guy across from you is better, then this is the wrong game for you. The best learn from the best.

4. Comraderie. I've witnessed life long friendships built through AAU; I've made life long friendships through AAU. Spending weekend after weekend in gyms, hotels, pools, cars, and planes is a great way to get to know people. That comraderie is what I will always cherish from my time in AAU basketball.


Here are the things about AAU basketball I feel are not of great benefit to players:

1. There is far too much emphasis placed on scholarships and the level which players end up at. I did it. I touted our D1 guys. I touted our D2 guys. I didn't necessarily tout our D3 guys. (And, I'm a D3 guy!) It's how AAU programs get their next crop of talented players. It is the AAU program's resume. Players and parents would rather know that you have put players into scholarhsip situations than that you won event x or y. Wins are insignificant. Scholarships are significant. Level is significant. Right fit is insignificant. I've had far too many of players that I coached transfer down a level because they were swooned by the loot and not a career. I always say to players, "would you rather tell your grandkids about your playing career or your scholarship".

2. There is too much money being wasted in the system. The majority of players do not need to play 50 games in 10 events during the off season. The majority of players do not need to spend $3,000-$5,000 for those 50 games. The majority of players do not need to play in national events. I, personally, think AAU is a terrible financial investment for 90%+ of families. If you're good enough, make the investment. Most aren't good enough.

3. The exposure players received is over-hyped. Yes, you're right there are college coaches standing over there watching this game. They are there. Do they have your son or daughters correct contact information? Is it accurate? Did your college aged AAU coach turn it in on time? Did the event coordinator put it into the book properly? Did the event coordinator sell that info to the coaches for $200? It's true, coaches do watch AAU games. They (coaches) are the lifeblood of AAU. If they come, you can build it. That said, the world is getting smaller every day. Very few stones are left unturned by college coaches. The only prerequisite to a scholarship is being good enough for the coach to invest in you. That's it; it's that simple. Good players get scholarships. AAU is not a prerequisite. The exposure comes from being a good player, otherwise you are actually being exposed. That is an important distinction.

4. AAU takes up too much family time for the return families receieve. It replaces family trips to the lake, to Yellowstone, to the Boundary Waters, to the Twins game, etc. I played HS basketball in a different era. We played one or two summer tournaments with our HS team. I will never forget the family trips my family took during my teenage years. The rocky mountains, southwestern deserts, Minnesota lakes and everything in between shaped the person I am today far more than the thousands of hours I have spent in a gym. AAU seems to forget about life outside of basketball. There is life outside of basketball.


Fix it.

AAU can be fixed. It has the framework in place to be fixed. In my opinion, the action falls on both the clients (players) and the vendors (programs).
Play in less events. This will allow for other activities. Those activities will still include skill development, open runs and countless hours of shooting for the most dedicated. The less dedicated shouldn't be playing 10 events anyway.
Quit playing national events. In seven years of coaching very talented AAU teams, I had 7 out of 60 players get D1 scholarships. Two of them have transfered back to play D2 in Minnesota. And, we were a program that had good success in regards to over all recruitment. Don't forget this: We are lucky to have one of the best D2 leagues (NSIC) and two of the best D3 leagues (MIAC/WIAC) in the nation right in our backyard. What are you running from, and what are you running to?
Practice more. Reducing the volume of events and distance to these events should allow for more practice time and more in-depth practices. One practice a week in between events doesn't cut it. I did it, I know it doesn't cut it. They forget the stupid SLOBs, BLOBs, gimmick D's and Sets you put in anyway. Focus your practice time on their skill and knowledge development. Challenge your coaching skills. Make them better players.
Tell players what they need to know, not what they want to hear. Be honest. The best thing you can do is be honest; not biased, I said honest! And, that means you, all of you: the parents, aau program directors, aau coaches, media, college coaches, friends, extended family, handlers (I get the creeps just writing that), etc. Challenge the player in your life to be a better player.


Change will come. The saturation point is nearing. Too many share my sentiments. That said, it won't happen over night. There is a money making machine in motion. Change the game. Demand a better product. Demand a product that fits the masses, not the 10%.

The key is to play, not to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment